Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Where is the Housing Authority’s main office located?

We are located at 542 Richardson Street, Montezuma, GA 31063.  Our mailing address is P.O. Box 67, Montezuma, GA 31063 (See Map)

What is your telephone number?

– Phone number 478-472-8209
– Fax number 478-472-5012

What are your office hours?

Office hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am until 4:30 pm. The office is closed for most federal holidays.  If you are unable to reach your party, please leave a voice message and your call will be returned as soon as possible.

How can I apply for public housing?

This Housing Authority manages housing assistance through the Public Housing Program. To apply, please contact the Admissions/Occupancy Clerk at our main office 478-472-8209 ext 201.  You can also come to the office between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday – Thursday to request an application.  You may also obtain an application online.

Does FACHA give out section 8 vouchers?

No.  If interested in the section 8 voucher program in Macon and Taylor counties, citizens are encouraged to contact the Georgia Department of Community Affairs.  The closest regional office for Macon and Taylor counties is in Eastman.  Contact information for DCA can be found on our links page.

Is there an application fee?


Is there a waiting list?


How does the waiting list work?

The Flint Area Consolidated Housing Authority keeps a waiting list for public housing.  The waiting list is according to the date and time a person applies, the family size, and by any local preferences for qualified applicants.  Local preferences are asking for a particular city and/or apartment complex.

How can I find out where my name is on the waiting list?

The place of an applicant on the waiting list depends on several factors.  Public Housing is determined by bedroom size, application date and time, and any local preferences the applicant qualifies for.  The time on the list for any resident is difficult to predict and also depends on unit availability and an applicant’s timely response to an offer.

Our policy dictates that an applicant may reject an offer for an apartment for any reason.  If an applicant rejects an offer they are moved to the bottom of the waiting list.  Upon the third rejection, the applicant is removed from the waiting list entirely and must reapply to be considered.  Applicants are encouraged to have funds readily available to be able to accept an offer and move forward quickly.

What can I do if my application is rejected?

An applicant who receives a letter of denial has 10 business days from the date of the Letter of Denial to request in writing an informal review of their application.

How much rent will I have to pay?

Regulations set by HUD determine a family’s rent.  Other fees may apply to some apartments based on policies the Board of Commissioners has enacted.  Normally, a family will not pay more than 30% of their monthly adjusted income for rent and utilities. Because of the complexity of rent calculation, the rent amount a family will pay is determined after an offer for a specific apartment is accepted.

What is the difference between the “Income Based” and the “Flat Rent” option?

Income based rent is determined by Federal Regulation and based on the adjusted income of your household, less any authorized deductions.

Flat rent is a term that means the maximum rent you will pay. Flat rent reflects more of what competitive non-subsidized markets in the area offer.

When I turn in my application, what documents do I need to bring?

You must bring all required documentation with your application to allow FACHA to begin processing your information.  Applicants need to have:

1-    Birth Certificate of Everyone in the Household.

2-    Social Security Card

3-    Picture ID of anyone age 18+ that will live in the Household.

4-    Proof of Income documentation

5-    Marriage license or divorce decree (if applicable)

6-    Signed consent forms (available at the Authority) for both Credit & Criminal Background checks.

[see more on How to Apply]

What is considered Proof of Income Documentation?

Allowed documents a resident can submit for proof of income are:

1-    Award Letter for Social Security or Disability

2-    4 Current pay stubs from your employer.  (These must be the most recent 4)

3-    School funds are not accepted.

If I am married, but separated, do I still need to present my spouses financial information with my application?

Yes.  If you are not divorced then you must present your spouse’s information with your application.

Which utilities do I pay and which utilities does the Housing Authority pay?

Residents of the Flint Area Consolidated Housing Authority are responsible for their own utilities.  A list of providers and contact numbers is available on the website.

Can I have family or friends stay with me?

Guests are generally welcome and fall under limited authorization. Residents are allowed to have overnight guests. However, under the lease, guests are not allowed to stay more than 14 days within any one consecutive year period.

Once I am housed, can I move to another location or jurisdiction?

Under limited circumstances and pending FACHA approval, a resident who has lived in the system at least a year may transfer to another unit in the Flint Area Consolidated Housing Authority system.  FACHA has no control over other Public Housing Authorities and so transferring out of our region is not something we can help a resident with.

How much money is needed for the Security Deposit?

As of December 1, 2011, the security deposit for residents is:

0-1 Bedroom Apartment = $500.00

2 Bedroom Apartments = $700.00

3 Bedroom Apartments = $725.00

4 Bedroom Apartments = $800.00

5 Bedroom Apartments = $800.00

At move in a resident must pay $100.00 and then $50.00 a month until the deposit is paid in full.

How do I get my security deposit back?

The Housing Authority requires a 30 day written notice to vacate. If proper notice is given, rent is current, and the apartment is left in clean condition with no damages (less any normal wear and tear), security deposits will be returned.  If there are legitimate charges, they will be deducted from the security deposit.

Can I have pets?

FACHA’s Pet Policy allows for one authorized pet per household.  Registration of your pet at the main office and payment of a pet deposit fee will need to be done prior to admitting any pet into the household.  Please see the Pet Policy for more details.

If I owe Maintenance Fees how long do I have to pay?

Regular fees must be paid within 3 months of the completion of the work.  If a resident cannot pay in that time, they will be required to sign a monthly repayment agreement.

If I owe a Fine or Late Fee how long do I have to pay?

Fines and Late Fees must be paid immediately.  They are due at the same time as your next rent payment.

When is my rent payment due?

Rent is due the first of the month and accepted up until close of business on the 10th of the month.  After the 10th rent is considered late.  A resident can pay late rent up until the 15th.  After that time the resident is turned over to collections and sent to court for violation of the lease and must pay late penalties and court fines within 7 days or face eviction.

If the 10th occurs on a weekend or holiday, then the rent must be postmarked prior to the 10th or placed in the night deposit drop box at 542 Richardson Street, Montezuma, Georgia, 31063, before 7:30 am of the next working day.

What form does my rent payment need to be in?

FACHA accepts money orders and cashier’s checks as proper forms of payment.  No cash, personal checks, or other tender is accepted.

What if I cannot afford my entire rent payment in time?  Can I make a partial payment?

No.  The Authority can only accept complete payments for rent.  No partial payments will be accepted.

Who do I report maintenance problems to?

During normal hours of operation Monday – Thursday, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, to report a maintenance issue, please call 478-472-8209 ext 403.  If this is an afterhour’s maintenance issue please call 1-800-791-9344.  You can also submit a work order request by clicking here and filling out the form.

Is the Flint Area Consolidated Housing Authority part of city government?

No.  The Housing Authority’s Board of commissioners are appointed by the Mayors of Montezuma, Oglethorpe, Marshallville, Butler and Reynolds respectively.  The Housing Authority is a quasi-governmental agency authorized under state law and established in 1997 when multiple smaller authorities consolidated to form FACHA.